Friday, June 27, 2008

At School



Today I made an important discovery.....my son is being ostracised by his classmates. Being in a grammar girls school, there are naturally fewer boys than girls....to be precise....there are only 6 boys inclusive of him.

Today was the last day of the term 2 for school and the school had an exhibition to display the childrent's project (a transport city) to the parents. I noticed the problem when I saw that the boys in his class were taking photos and they excluded my son. Also, I noted that the boys in his project group were telling everyone what they had made..the buildings, the various transport...and my son was only relegated to making figurines for the transport city.

Upon questioning my son, I realised that he was being isolated. According to him, his classmates (the boys) think his ideas and suggestions were strange and would often call him names....like "dummy", "clumsy","bumsy", "fatty".
My heart sank when I heard that! All along I had thought he was enjoying school and liked going to school. Little did I expect strong discrimination from his classmates. I suspect.................this may be related to racial discrimination.

As a parent, I had to encourage him and help him cope with the situation. We talked to him to understand the entire problem and then encouraged him to look for new friends; friends that would care and be kind to him instead of friends that call him names.

I am very upset with this ugly side of racial discrimination but I am also glad that my son is coping well. Being a happy-go-luck person, he was not discouraged nor unhappy. I hope this lesosn will help him to grow to be even stronger and equip him with necessary skills to face this ugly world.

A concerned parent

No comments: